Dental Checkups and Cleaning in Norwalk, CT
It is important to visit the dentist on a regular basis for checkups and cleanings to maintain oral health. Our dentist will complete a through examination of your oral cavity. Call us for more information, or request an appointment online today! We are conveniently located at 515 West Ave Suite R, Norwalk CT, 06850.
Table of Contents:
What does a dentist do during a checkup and cleaning?
How often should I get a dental checkup and cleanings?
What are the benefits of routine dental checkups and cleanings?
What should I do between each dental visit?
A dental checkup and cleaning is a routine visit to the dentist where patients receive a comprehensive evaluation of their oral health. During a checkup, the dentist or dental hygienist will inspect the teeth and gums for signs of oral disease and staining, and will also perform a variety of tests to detect possible problems, such as oral cancer or gum disease. This is also a good opportunity to catch up on any recommended oral health practices, such as brushing and flossing, and to discuss any other concerns regarding the health of the teeth, gums or jaw. The dentist will also perform a thorough cleaning, which is part of a regular checkup and is focused primarily on removing plaque and debris from teeth using specialized instruments.
A checkup and cleaning involve several different steps and processes; these include:
• Oral Examination — Dental cleanings always begin with a thorough inspection of the patient’s mouth; this is crucial to determine any injury, disease, or damage. The number of teeth and the condition of the mouth are important to note, as the dentist will need to pinpoint any signs of periodontitis such as inflamed gums.
• Dental Calculus and Plaque Removal — Using a scaler and a small, round mirror, the dentist will remove tartar and plaque between the teeth and along the gumline. This is usually audible to patients as a scraping sound; if there is a lot of tartar to remove, the sound may last a while.
• Gritty, Thorough Cleaning — Next, the dentist will use a high-powered electric toothbrush to perform an even deeper cleaning; this deep-cleaning technique dislodges any residual tartar. Using flavored toothpaste with a gritty consistency, the dentist will scrub the teeth, leaving the surfaces of the teeth smooth and polished.
• Professional Flossing — While regular flossing at home is a good way to prevent plaque and tartar, the flossing that dentists provide is more effective than any patient can achieve at home. This is because a dentist can floss the patient’s teeth while inspecting any problem spots that may cause the gums to bleed, removing the tiniest remnants of tartar left along the gum line or between the teeth.
• Thorough Rinsing — After scaling the patient’s teeth, the dentist asks the patient to perform a thorough rinse using specialized dental equipment. This thorough rinsing flushes out the dislodged particles of tartar and food from the mouth, ensuring that there is no harmful debris left in the patient’s mouth.
Dental cleanings are a necessary part of maintaining good oral health as they help to keep patients’ teeth and gums healthy. Dentists recommend that patients receive a dental checkup and cleaning twice a year, or every six months. Receiving checkups and cleanings twice a year ensures that any signs of oral disease are detected early; this prevents unnecessary treatments and procedures and provides the foundation for good teeth and gum health.
There are many benefits of routine dental checkups and cleanings, including the following:
• Whiter, Brighter Smile
• Improves Breath
• Reduces Dental Costs
• Prevents Tooth Loss
Between each dental visit, it is important for every patient to practice good oral hygiene, including brushing and flossing twice daily and using mouthwash to eliminate excess oral bacteria. At Daniel Dental Studio, we are dedicated to providing you with all of your dental checkup and cleaning needs. Call us for more information, or request an appointment online today for your next dental cleaning! We are conveniently located at 515 West Ave Suite R, Norwalk CT, 06850. We serve patients from Norwalk CT, Stamford CT, Westport CT, Darien CT, Rowayton CT, Wilton CT, New Caanan CT, Fairfield CT, and Bridgeport, CT.